A Crumlin Viaduct web page
Situated about 4 miles west from Crumlin Viaduct, work began on this masonry structure mid 1853.
Probably designed by T. W. Kennard to Charles Liddell's specifications. The contractors employed to carry out the work were Messrs Rennie and Logan.
Originally referred to as the "Rhymney Viaduct" it was also known as the "Maesycwmmer Viaduct".
This Viaduct was the last major project to be completed on the "Taff Vale Extension" before the line was opened in 1858.
Consisting of 16 arches, it is 284 yards long, 120 feet high and on a slight curve. There was only one fatal accident during its construction. The final cost being £20,000.
The first arch on the eastern side was constructed at a skewed angle to accommodate the Brecon and Merthyr main line that passed under it.
After the line close in 1964 it was offered for sale at a nominal sum of one pound. Today the Viaduct is opened to the public as a cycle path.